History of Jerry Forbes
In 1954, Jerry Forbes, the long-time general manager of 630 CHED, asked a simple question:
Wouldn’t it be great if there would be no needy kids…and every kid had a present…not a used present…with wheels stuck on and repainted…but a brand new present?
One year later, Jerry personally helped deliver toys to 600 less fortunate children across the city and 630 CHED Santas Anonymous – a pure, heart-warming and uniquely Edmonton organization – was born.
While Jerry’s mission was simple – ensure that every child experience the magic of Christmas – his vision was far more profound; it was a vision of individuals coming together in the spirit of community. 62 years later, Jerry’s legacy thrives every time a 630 CHED Santas Anonymous volunteer delivers a new, wrapped gift to the doorstep of a family in need.
For his contributions to Santas Anonymous and for his influence in our City and community, it is most fitting that Jerry Forbes be permanently honoured and recognized through the Jerry Forbes Centre Foundation which spearheads the Centre for Community Spirit project in his memory.
For a little more on Jerry, you can find some of his writing and broadcasts here.
- Complete purchase of existing 93,000 sq. ft. office & warehouse building
- Media announcement & move in of first Tenant Partner, 630 CHED Santas Anonymous – May 2016
- Complete design for renovations - September 2016
- Raise remaining funds for start-up operations & renovations
- Receive over 50 expressions of interest and 29 detailed applications from charities
- Work with applicants to gather needs, move trough the approval process & begin lease-up
- Complete the Jerry Forbes Centre Operations Plan and move in second tenant
A change of direction
- Opted to purchase an existing facility to keep costs down
- Secured $5 million funding from City of Edmonton and returned the land previously secured
- Gathered detailed space requirements for 25 Tenant Applicants
- Additional Government of Alberta pledge of $2 Million achieved through Community Grants for total of $5 million
- Drafted the Jerry Forbes Centre Operations Plan
- Received CRA Charitable Status January, 2012
- Schematic design to excite donors completed 2010, detailed Design Fall 2012
- Support secured from the City of Edmonton was 4.7 acres of land valued at $3.25 Million plus pledged $2 Million
- Secured $3 million from the Province of Alberta
- Raised $2.5 million privately
- Incorporated Jerry Forbes Centre Foundation – Societies Act – Jan 2011
- Feasibility study and project statement completed
- Developed business case & assembled a volunteer team
- Met with all orders of government and community supporters